July 16, 2010

Archelon Ranch by Garrette Cook Review



By Garrette Cook
LegumeMan Books
ISBN: 9780980593822
Review Posted: 11/23/2009
Reviwe done by Rob Walter


Archelon Ranch, the third book written by Garrett Cook, is published by an Australian Publisher, LegumeMan Books. The cover art, by Jude Coulter-Pultz is disorienting and strange when first viewed. I had to look at it a number of times just to see the title of the book. Strange, but it fits the story.

I have to admit that I was confused through much of this book. I could not read this in one sitting as I had to let my mind wrap around what was written in pieces, some larger than others. This is the first work of fiction that I have read/reviewed where the author has brought himself into the story as the author and a character. Quite an interesting premise. The book follows Bernard, a test subject, and his brother Clyde as Bernard attempts to make his way through and out of a city/existence overrun by dinosaurs, crazed suburbanites and other mental challenges in his search for paradise, the namesake, Archelon Ranch.

As strange as it may seem the books ends up feeling like a commentary on the struggles many people go through in life. While Archelon Ranch was confusing at times and tiring it is an interesting book that I recommend.